Thursday, November 3, 2016

N + 1

This will be quick.

I feel like this…


via GIPHY

That is, I’ve taken a huge step forward into getting into cyclocross (and being a roadie). I’ve ordered a bike (N+1) that can be used for such purposes.


via GIPHY

I said, 'purposes.'

 Now, I still love my Marlin. I would say it’s my first child, but I can’t (thanks Specialized and Cannondale) but it is the first new bike I’ve owned this decade. I love my little red beast, and I have no intention of retiring it. It will just serve a different purpose.

But there will be a new machine, and it is this beauty:



Now, yes, I realize it is an adventure or gravel or flying sausage footy powered transport machine, or whatever new classification bike companies slap on things to make us think we’re buying something new, but two things led me to grab this:

1) It’s in my price range, and it can function not only as a CX bike, but a road bike as well,

And more importantly…

2) The bike folks are fairly certain this bike can hold up to the abuse I can toss onto it without suffering a pinch flat, broken fork, or whatever unfortunate event might befall me the moment I lower my Clydesdale sized ass onto it.

And it ain’t the best, or the shiniest, or the finest, but it will be mine, and it makes me feel like this when I think of riding it:


via GIPHY

My girlfriend, whom I love more than anything, especially since she sees me through these blinding moments of indescribable obsessive compulsive behaviors I get into when I fall in love with something new and shiny, in which I go all in, acquire all the things, do all the events, get all the excitements, and scream all the enthusiastic rage, only to fall out of love when my perfect perception ultimately doesn’t match the reality (I’m looking at you, Star Wars Costuming group), didn’t exactly get why I had to buy this new thing, but she understands me. She supports me nonetheless, and always, she provides a logical, thoughtful, intelligent discussion on why I should exercise some prudence before I go absolutely apeshit. I listen, I consider, and in this case, go completely blind to what she said and call the bike shop and tell them to order THE THING THAT MUST BE OWNED!

Now, this doesn’t always end poorly. Some passions are still followed (I’m looking at you, Hockey) and as I’ve biked on and off for the better part of 20 years now (holy shit, I just realized it’s been that long) and loved every minute of it, I’m hopeful this joins the ranks of hockey and not the ranks of do I really want to dress up like Darth Vader just to hang out with a bunch of assholes (actually, the majority of these folks are really awesome, nice people whom I adore. Unfortunately, it’s ruined by Death Star Magnitude assholes).

There’s a local CX track I look forward to checking out once I get this beast, and as soon as I pedal onto the dirt, I will then look forward to the section of it that makes me fall straight on my ass.

So, shall we get down to business and get this whole CX thing going?


via GIPHY

All hail THE BIKE.

(Apologies for all the GIFs)

..

No comments:

Post a Comment